OSRA McGraw-Hill Reading LaboratoriesTM are the original, multi-levelled reading programs that provide excellent
opportunities for differentiated learning — ideal for a classroom full of students at different reading levels.
With an emphasis on independent work and self-correction, students build ownership and understanding of their
progress as they move through the program. The result is the confidence to tackle bigger challenges, including national
Originated in the 1950’s, SRA McGraw-Hill Reading LaboratoriesTM were developed by teachers to have a strong focus
on comprehension and the improvement of important skills such as vocabulary, fluency and word analysis. Today, the
SRA McGraw-Hill Reading LaboratoriesTM have stood the test of time, adapting to the current needs of students.
• Research-based and classroom tested for over 50 years
• Internationally renowned bestsellers
• Provide individualised reading instruction to a whole classroom of readers at different levels
• Engage students with a variety of text types at different levels, including narratives, reports,
biographies, fiction and non-fiction
• Diagnostic – students are continuously evaluated, helping teachers to monitor individual
• Facilitates independent learning
How do they work?
• Students take the Starting Level Guide pre-test to determine the appropriate colour level at which they should
• Students begin with reading selections called Power Builders which correspond to their individual levels.
Each Power Builder includes reading selections plus comprehension questions followed by vocabulary and
• Students answer questions, then check their work using the corresponding Key Cards. Scores are recorded in
the Student Record Book
Motivation for success
• Students continue at the same level or move up to the next colour level. Building ownership and understanding of
their progress helps improve their skills and confidence, while a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts encourage
their interest in topics such as animals, multiculturalism, sport and more.
Reading Laboratories include (exact quantities differ
¦ 110–150 Power Builders and Answer Key Cards
¦ 110–150 Rate Builders and Answer Key Cards
(Labs 2a, 2b, 2c, 3a, 3b and Developmental 2 and 3)
¦ 200+ Skill Builders and Answer Key Cards
(Labs 2a, 2b, 2c and 3a)
¦ 1 Student Record Book
¦ 1 Teacher’s Handbook
¦ 1 Program Management/ Assessment CD-ROM